I asked my Buddhist teacher following question ,
“What is the right attitude of a Buddhist regarding eating meat?”
He gave a very wise answer,
For your to be considered as Buddhist,
a. You should take Buddha as Refuge
b. You should live in a No Harmful way to others (all beings)
1. Pigs, Chicken and Cows are not thinking that today I’m going to serve myself to somebody so they can cook, fry, barbeque me.
2. Comparing a Fish to a Potato, Potato will not feel pain and will not worry if it’s been fried or cut , but fish does.
3. So if you can avoid eating meat, then please do so.
4. Buddha have two rules for Monks regarding eating meat
a. The monks who get their food from alms should not ask for meat
b. If a Monk is invited to a house as guest and if he hear, get to know an animal was killed for serving him, they the monk should reject eating that meal.
5. There is no diet that does not harm animals. When the vegetables like potatoes are harvested by machines, they kills hundreds of Insects.
6. It does not matter if you have are vegetarian or vegan or meat eater, what is important is what you do with your life.
7. You can be a perfect Vegan but unless you don’t put effort to your liberation then what is the value?
8. If you are a person , where your body doesn’t react well only to vegetarian food, eating meat is fine , but use that energy to do good.
9. When someone loves you prepare food for you, think about the love they have put into it rather than whether this is made of meat or vegetables.